Miss California + Carrie Prejean

Miss California: Carrie Prejean,
(Courtesy of Foxnews.com)

Miss California and Miss U.S.A. Runner-Up, Carrie Prejean has already had quite a week. When she was asked about her stance on same-sex marriage, she gave an honest and outright answer. It was a good answer, but like most conservative Christians' answers, this one fell a bit short as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think it was an honest answer, but there could be a better way to answer this question if one is prepared with a better answer.

When I am asked about same-sex marriage, I have a short answer first, which inevitably leads into an explanation: "Since same-sex marriages cannot, and do not harm the sanctity of traditional marriage, I don't worry much about it."

If pressed to explain, I will: "As a Christian, I have to believe what the Bible tells me or I cannot honestly call myself a Christian. It tells me that we all fall short of the glory of God. That's number one. The Bible also indicates that God does not honor sexual relationships between two men and/or two women. Therefore, if they cannot force God into a holy union, there is no way same-sex couples can harm or endanger the sanctity of marriage."

Then the inevitable question comes about: "Well, then, what do you think of same-sex marriage?" I have two answers to that depending on the tone of the conversation and the audience. The blunt answer is: "Jesus said '...let the dead bury their own dead,' so I say let the dead marry their own dead." The answer to keep someone interested in what I have to say, however, is a bit more complicated and I'll just go into that explanation without quotes.

I don't have a problem with men marrying men, and women marrying women, because it does not effect me or my faith. I know they cannot force God to recognize or honor something He has called an abomination. So as long as folks are not using the argument that marriage is a civil right to force churches and ministers to perform the marriages against their will under the threat of prosecution for a hate crime or any other penalty for that matter, then let them have their civil unions. I will fight tooth and nail to keep our government from violating the first amendment by forcing churches to perform same-sex marriages, which is what I think the whole same-sex marriage movement is about, the underlying purpose, if you will.

If it is a case of wanting to make a commitment to each other, that is admirable, and does no harm. I'm all for people who share a household and household expenses to also benefit from whatever relationship they have as a family unit, no matter how much I disagree with their lifestyle. Insurance, life insurance, etc should be available to all who share a home trough any benefit package. For that very reason, same-sex unions actually make sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating same-sex marriage. I don't agree with it, but it isn't for me to say what others do with their lives. They are not a danger to society or their neighbors simply by living in a way that does not concur with the Bible. Jesus said about such folks that they have their reward, but those who follow Him will be granted greater rewards in heaven.

So, I'm not going to even pretend to think I have a moral obligation to tell people who they should and shouldn't marry, especially if they reject my Lord and my beliefs. I used to be one of the knee-jerkers who would jump up and say stuff like, "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve," but who does that serve? Not God, I can say that right off and it only harms any chance one may have to turn a lost person toward taking a closer look at a relationship with God.

The amazing thing about this stance is it makes BOTH sides of the argument angry with me. Which means I may be onto something. It also means that they aren't wanting to resolve anything. They want to WIN the argument. In the end, they all lose.

0 comments: